Welcome to the ComKids program.
To learn more about the Program and expectations for the school year, visit the tabs below.
Welcome to the ComKids program. Congratulations on receiving your brand-new HP laptop. It was amazing to meet you during your school Launch.
At the Launch, our staff went over what is expected of you during the first year of the Program.
The Program requires that you:
- Attend five lunchtime Lead & Learn sessions with your police officer.
- Complete and submit an assignment at the end of March based on the topics provided.
- Refrain from cyber-bullying.
Once you complete the three Program requirements, it is time to celebrate!
Inspiration Games will be held at the end of May to celebrate your completion of the Program and earning complete ownership of your HP laptop. All students will gather together for a day of food, games, awards, and fun!
If you have any questions, visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) tab below.
Please work hard and try your best this year. We know you will achieve great things in the Program!
Lead & Learn Sessions and Final Assignment
Lead & Learn Sessions
A very special part of the ComKids program are the 5 lunchtime Lead & Learn sessions. Attendance to these sessions is required to remain in the Program – so be sure not to skip any sessions.
If you know that you will be away on the day of your session, speak to your teacher or officer beforehand to see what can be arranged. If you miss a Lead & Learn session, ask your teacher, officer, or another student in the Program for information on what you missed.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety of our program participants, sessions this year will be virtual. More details will be shared with you through your teacher and ComKids staff.
The assignment is due at the end of May. You will be asked to return your laptop if you miss the deadline or do not submit your own original work. Please refer to the Assignment Outline provided to you for more information on the criteria.
Online Code of Conduct
Online Code Of Conduct
ComKids expects students to be responsible when accessing the Internet and abide by the Code of Conduct. Inappropriate use of online access by participants will result in removal from the Program, removal of the computer, and/or legal action.
Personal Safety Rules
- Never reveal information about your or someone else’s personal identity (such as your name, address, phone number, age, physical description or school) to strangers whom you may encounter online or on a public website.
- Never reveal your personal password(s) or those of anyone else.
- Never send a picture of yourself, another person or a group over an electronic network without prior informed permission of all the individuals involved and, in the case of minors, their parents or guardians.
- Report immediately to a parent, police officer or teacher any message or request that you receive that bothers you or that suggests personal contact with you.
- Never publish the specific dates, times and locations of your activities to public forums where strangers might access the information.
Unacceptable Sites and Materials
Users may encounter a website that, parents or staff might consider inappropriate or offensive. It is your responsibility not to intentionally access these types of websites. If such material is accessed by accident, the incident must be reported immediately to a parent, police officer or teacher.
ComKids is committed to meeting obligations under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code by providing safe environments that respect the rights of every individual. Discrimination and harassment will not be tolerated. It is not acceptable to knowingly access sites, which contain material of a discriminatory or harassing nature.
- As a participant of the ComKids program, you will not knowingly access, upload, download, store, display, distribute or publish any information that:
- Is illegal or that advocates illegal acts or facilitates unlawful activity;
- Threatens or intimidates any person or suggests violence, hatred or discrimination toward others;
- Uses inappropriate and/or abusive language or conduct;
- Contains inappropriate religious or political messages;
- Violates or infringes the rights of any other person according to the Ontario Human Rights Code, or the Canadian Charter or Rights and Freedoms;
- Is racially, culturally or religiously offensive;
- Encourages the use of controlled substances, participation in an illegal act or uses the system to incite criminal actions;
- Is of a defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, pornographic or sexually explicit nature;
- Contains personal information, images or signatures of individuals without their consent;
- Constitutes messages of sexual harassment or which contains inappropriate romantic overtones;
- Attempts to hide, disguise or misrepresent the identity of the sender.
If you cyber-bully, you will lose your laptop.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if my laptop stops working?
Your computer is under warranty for 3-years with HP. If your computer stops working, please contact the HP warranty number at 1-844-732-9070.
What happens if I move and change schools before the program year is finished?
If you move and change schools before the program year is complete, you are required to return your laptop to ComKids immediately.
How do I find ComKids on social media?
Be sure to follow us on our social media channels to stay up-to-date on upcoming online contests and Program news.
- Twitter – @ComKidsCA
- Facebook – ComKids
- Instagram – @comkidsca
- Youtube – ComKids